The board of the Vancouver Comic Arts Association wishes to express their thanks and appreciation to Andrea Demonakos for all of her invaluable work as Festival Director of the Vancouver Comic Arts Festival through a period of growth and development. This show would not be where it is today without her stewardship. This past year, we saw over 11,000 visitors come through the festival, a record high number, which reflects the growth of the show, and the desire of local comics readers to engage in a great community event.
Andrea is leaving an impressive legacy on VanCAF, and a solid, sustainable foundation in place for the show to grow into the future.
We are currently accepting applications for a new Festival Director, with festival work starting in the fall. There are already exciting things in progress for the 2019 show, with announcements to come.
Please see posting below. Applications are due July 29th by 11:59 pm
If you have any questions, please contact [email protected]
And check out Andrea’s exciting new venture and visit her business, White Squirrel – https://www.whitesquirrelstore.com
The Vancouver Comic Arts Association (VanCAA) is currently searching for a Festival Director. VanCAA is a non-profit organization that supports and promotes the growth of the comics community in the city of Vancouver, British Columbia, primarily through organizing the Vancouver Comic Arts Festival (VanCAF), which takes place every spring at the Roundhouse Community Arts & Recreation Centre in downtown Vancouver. Our organization is passionate about comics and its role in contributing to a vibrant artistic community. We are looking for the right individual that shares our vision!
The Festival Director role is a nine-month (September 4, 2018 to June 15, 2019) contract position with an expected workload of approximately 300 hours over the course of the contract. The successful candidate would work from home, and would need to be available for some evening commitments. The Festival Director will work closely with the Board of Directors to manage the association projects, represent VanCAF in the community, and carry out associated administrative duties.
The ideal candidate for this role will:
- have excellent written and oral communication skills
- be organized and able to manage multiple deadlines
- have experience in planning and co-ordinating special events
- have experience building, developing and sustaining budgets
- be proficient in managing an administrative computer environment, in particular Google Docs and Microsoft Office Suite (experience with Adobe Creative Suite and and web development and accounting software is an asset)
- be knowledgeable of basic accounting principles and procedures
- be an excellent collaborator who is able to motivate and engage with a diverse group of volunteers
- be a resident of Vancouver with some comics background, but most importantly a passion for engaging with the comics community in Vancouver and beyond
- The management of all aspects of the Vancouver Comic Arts Festival operations, including, but not limited to:
- curating VanCAF exhibitor applications & creating floor plan for successful applicants
- overseeing event programming submission, participants, and scheduling
- liaising with vendors, suppliers and venue management
- recruiting, creating and leading volunteer component
- selecting and securing the attendance of Special Guests
- arranging Special Guests’ flights, accommodations and signings
- facilitating shipping & handling of product from featured guests and vendors
- Coordinating with the Board to develop, explore and implement sponsorship and advertising opportunities.
- Leading the application and reporting on grant applications with public funders, government agencies, and foundations.
- Promoting VanCAF through our website and social and print media
- Making ongoing financial decisions regarding budget development, amendments and extraordinary expenses, and delivering a monthly invoice for all incidental costs
Job Type: Contract
How to Apply:
Please email a cover letter and resumé to pre[email protected] with the subject header: Festival Director Application
Applicants from diverse backgrounds and with differing abilities are encouraged to apply. Please contact [email protected] if you have any questions regarding the position.
We thank all applicants for their submissions. Please note that only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Closing Date: Sunday, July 29 at 11:59 pm